Warren Buffett says Berkshire is reversing course on airlines In Shanghai, Tesla to build 4,000 Model 3s/week by mid-2020 Българка събира световни светила в инвестициите в oнлайн събитие China’s ‘rice bowls’ cracking as big home appliance maker speeds up job cuts Българският бизнес и бизнесът на ОАЕ се обединяват в борбата срещу коронавируса Prime Minister Boris Johnson tests positive US eyes new outbreaks as infections worldwide top 575,000 World Health Organization believes it’s too early to introduce STRICT quarantine in Russia, Kremlin agrees

Kuwaiti banks face $1.8bn bad debts bill for expats

      Published on Sunday, 29 July , 2018      191 Views     
Kuwaiti banks face $1.8bn bad debts bill for expats

  • Kuwait Business

The high volume of expats being let go from public sector jobs in Kuwait has left banks in the country with a sizeable bad debt problem.

Over 1,600 expatriate workers were terminated from public sector positions in Kuwait so far this year, according to the most recent statistics from Kuwait’s Civil Service Commission (CSC).


| Bulgarian Business Club Sponsored Articles Network Advertise here

Of the 1,629 employees terminated, 1,431 lost their job in the last three months alone. In 2017, only 666 expatriate employees lost their jobs.

The lay-offs come as Kuwait is working to create more jobs for its nationals in state departments. The government’s ‘replacement policy’ targets the complete ‘Kuwaitsation’ of the public sector’s workforce by 2022.

The largescale job cuts for expats means many are left without the means to pay back loans or credit cards, which has created a bad debt problem for Kuwaiti banks.

The most recent data from Central Bank of Kuwait shows the total bad debts for expatriates during the past four year reached $1.8 billion, Kuwait Times reported.

The newspaper, citing sources, said a large proportion of the debts belonged to foreigners who were laid off by the government, according to sources.



Of the bad debts, 85% are owed to local banks, while the remaining 15% are owed to financial facilities companies, the newspaper added.

Keywords:
Category Kuwait Business | 2018/07/29 latest update at 11:00 PM
Source : Arabian Business | Photocredit : Google
192 Views
Comments Add comment

Popular articles



Bulgarian Business Club
Related Articles
The editorial staff of Bulgarian Business Club would like to give all of its readers from Bulgaria and the whole world the opportunity to participate actively in the development of the website! If you have something interesting, fun, scandalous - just something worth to be seen from more people. Capture it and share it in the Bulgarian Business Club with a short text.

Do you have information you want to reach our readers?

Send article/s

You can subscribe to our Facebook, Twitter or use our RSS feed channel to always read the most important news about Bulgaria.


Sponsored Publications